Supplementary Major in Asian Studies
The supplementary major in Asian Studies emphasizes the study of Asia as an integral part of the world today. Students study a wide array of approaches with regard to Asia, including its history, culture, society, politics, literature, language, and religion. Required courses emphasize an interdisciplinary perspective through cross-listed classes found throughout Notre Dame.
24 credit hours* of Asia-related courses fulfilling each of the following:
- 3 credits of History
- 3 credits of Literature or Culture
- 3 credits of Humanities (Theology or Philosophy) OR an additional 3 credits of Literature/Culture
- 3 credits of Social Science (Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, or Sociology)
- 9 credits of General Electives that can include up to 6 credit hours of Language
- 3 credits of Upper-Level curriculum taken during the senior year that culminates in a capstone project
* Students are encouraged to study abroad in order to enrich their understanding of Asia with first-hand experience. Up to 12 credit hours from courses taken abroad at official Notre Dame study abroad programs can be counted toward the Asian studies supplementary major.