Justice and Asia grants
Call for Proposals
The Liu Institute for Asia and Asian Studies seeks to fund projects as part of its thematic cluster “Justice and Asia.” Proposals can be submitted by faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, groups, etc. Awards of up to $5,000 will be provided.
All proposals should have Asia at their center. Applicants need not be faculty fellows of the Liu Institute. Priority will be given to proposals that encourage meaningful collaboration between faculty and student(s), that deliver concrete outcomes (publications, events, creative work), and that benefit the visibility of the "Justice and Asia" theme on and beyond campus.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year the Institute will ask applicants to submit proposals that include two options.
- Option 1 should outline the full scope of the project including travel with no limitations;
- Option 2 should be a modified proposal and budget plan to implement if travel is not possible.
All questions regarding travel and other COVID-19 related policies should be directed to https://here.nd.edu/.
Proposals should include the following:
- A short abstract indicating the scope of the project (≤ 200 words)
A project proposal that incorporates:
- Clearly defined deliverable(s)
- Significance of the project
- Work plan and timeframe
- Collaborators (local and global)
- Barriers and challenges
- Alignment with the Liu Institute theme of "Justice and Asia"
- Budget (formatted into a spreadsheet); if applicable please indicate other funding sources
For more information about the "Justice and Asia" theme, as well as previously funded projects, see https://asia.nd.edu/justice/
Proposals will be accepted on a rolling basis until May 1, 2021.
Justice and Asia Lecture Funding
The Institute is also accepting proposals for lectures related to the thematic cluster of “Justice and Asia” including topics that focus on the questions of race and ethnicity in Asia during the 2020-21 academic year. Lectures are encouraged to align with a course and have students read or discuss related topics.
Undergraduate Call for Proposals
The Liu Institute for Asia and Asian Studies is pleased to announce a call for proposals specifically for undergraduate students to explore the theme of “Justice and Asia” through the lens of race and ethnicity in Asia for the 2020-21 academic year. Learn more and apply here.