Undergraduate "Justice and Asia" Call for Proposals
Undergraduate Call for Proposals
The Liu Institute for Asia and Asian Studies is pleased to announce a call for proposals specifically for undergraduate students to explore the theme of “Justice and Asia” through the lens of race and ethnicity in Asia for the 2020-21 academic year.
Proposals can be submitted by undergraduate students or groups of students. Awards of up to $2,000 will be provided.
All proposals should have Asia at their center. Priority is given to proposals that encourage meaningful collaboration between Liu faculty fellows and student(s), that deliver concrete outcomes (publications, events, creative work), and that benefit the visibility of the "Justice and Asia" theme on and beyond campus.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Institute will ask projects to submit a proposal which includes two research and travel related options.
- Option 1 should outline the full scope of the project including travel with no limitations;
- Option 2 should be a modified proposal and budget plan to implement if travel is not possible in spring/summer 2021
All questions regarding travel and other COVID-19 related policies should be directed to https://here.nd.edu/.
Examples of remote research project budget items may include, but are not limited to:
- Research resources (books or journal articles unavailable in the Hesburgh Libraries; access to video or film collections; digital access fees for archives)
- Registration fee to attend a virtual conference, workshop or seminar
- Modest honorarium payment for interview subjects
Proposals must include the following:
- A short abstract indicating the scope of the project (≤ 200 words)
A project proposal that incorporates:
- Clearly defined deliverable (e.g. conference publication, creative work or multimedia project)
- Significance of the project
- Work plan and timeframe
- Alignment with the Liu Institute theme of "Justice in Asia"
- Budget (formatted into a spreadsheet); if applicable please indicate other funding sources
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member - Please have your letter of recommendation emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposals are due: January 25, 2021