The Liu Institute is pleased to offer funding to both undergraduate and graduate students who are participating in language-intensive programs for an Asian language, either abroad or in the U.S.
Student Grants Fall 2020
Please review the Liu Institute's updated policy on student grants for fall 2020 here.
Language study funding from the Liu Institute is available for all current undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing. Students applying for funding must have the endorsement of a Notre Dame faculty member. Preference is given to undergraduate students pursuing a supplementary major or minor in Asian Studies.
Students are encouraged to seek additional funding from other intra- and extramural sources.
Proposals are reviewed by a committee appointed by the Institute. Funding will be awarded based on the quality of the proposal, relevance of the activity to the mission of the Institute, and budgetary appropriateness.
Maximum award: $1,500
October 16, 2020 (now extended until November 1, 2020)
March 12, 2021
Complete the online application form, uploading a single PDF with a statement of purpose and line-item budget. Your transcript can be uploaded via the online form or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your faculty letter of recommendation can be emailed to email@example.com.
Statement of Purpose (in PDF form):
- Description of program and relevance to your future plans
- Program URL and physical location
- The duration of the program and total program instruction hours
- Expected outcomes
- Relevance and value to the Institute
- Other sources (internal and external) from which funding has been requested
- Line-item budget with justification (in spreadsheet form)
- Transcript (unofficial transcript accepted)
- Letter of recommendation from the advising faculty member
Please direct any questions you may have to the Administrative Assistant, Elisa Podrasky, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-3222. Students applying for funding are encouraged to contact the Liu Institute to discuss the proposed activity prior to submitting a proposal.