The Liu Institute is pleased to offer funding to both undergraduate and graduate students who are participating in language-intensive programs for an Asian language, either abroad or in the U.S.
Research funding from the Liu Institute is available for all current undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing. Students applying for funding must have the endorsement of a Notre Dame faculty member. Preference is given to undergraduate students pursuing a supplementary major or minor in Asian Studies.
Students are encouraged to seek additional funding from other intra- and extramural sources.
Proposals are reviewed by a committee appointed by the Institute. Funding will be awarded based on the quality of the proposal, relevance of the activity to the mission of the Institute, and budgetary appropriateness.
Fall Funding: October 15
Spring Funding: January 15
Summer Funding: March 15
Priority will be given to students who are registered as Asian Studies majors or minors, and students working with Liu Institute faculty fellows as their advising faculty. Funding may also be available for students doing research on Asia-related topics who are neither Asian Studies students nor working with Liu Institute faculty fellows.
Maximum award: $1,500
Requests for funding exceeding the maximum award amount will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Complete the online application form, uploading documents 1 - 2. Your transcript can be uploaded via the online form or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your letter of recommendation can be emailed to email@example.com.
Statement of Purpose (in PDF form):
- Description of program and relevance to your future plans
- Program URL and physical location
- The duration of the program and total program instruction hours
- Expected outcomes including abstract (in terms of research) and concrete (such as publications)
- Relevance and value to the Institute
- Other sources (internal and external) from which funding has been requested
- Line-item budget with justification (in spreadsheet form)
- Transcript (unofficial transcript accepted)
- Letter of recommendation from the advising faculty member
- Online Application form: https://goo.gl/forms/7IL0yMIIaTq0Uk5k2
Please direct any questions you may have to the assistant director, Patrick Deegan (firstname.lastname@example.org, x4409). Students applying for funding are encouraged to contact the assistant director to discuss the proposed activity prior to submitting a proposal.